Sunday 14 December 2008

KONO MICHI BLOG Dec 2008

BLOGGER: kono michi
LOCATION: brooklyn, new york
MICHI's MUSIC: kono michi
LABEL: shark batter records
WEBSITE: myspace.com/konomichi



DEC 5th: My First Tour Blog + 4 Star Review
Well, I'm back. Tour was awesome and totally consuming. I ditched most of my horsehair and explored a new electric sound with my bandmates, who worked their asses off memorizing parts both instrumental and vocal. It was like going on the road with built-in barbershop quintet slash bodyguards slash brothers.

The crowds were small but appreciative and I found my love for singing growing and growing, especially after playing the venerable Roadhouse in Manchester where the sound guy basically sprinkled some powdered sugar all over my voice before sending it back through the monitors. My drunk self accosted him after the show to tell him he was "SOOOOOOOO talented!" and for a tough guy all done up with tatts and piercings, he seemed to reach for his pepper spray pretty quick.

The sound we explored ranged from atmospheric to hardcore gypsy power drones and it was creatively fascinating to interpret all my violin, viola and and cello parts for those instruments largely reserved for wanking. Yes, I'm talking about guitars all you Erik Klaptons and Ginny Pages. One of the sound guys asked which was the lead guitar and I was all like "Um, there IS no lead guitar!"

I got a great review at one of my least-populated gigs, thus turning a potential loss into a welcome trade-off. Word on the cobblestone street says 4 stars is good:

SCOTSMAN: 4-STAR REVIEW OF KONO MICHI'S GLASGOW GIG

Thanks to all you who attended the shows. If you bought a T-shirt, send me a picture of you wearing it and I'll post it for all to see. If you bought a Kono Michi soap, send me a picture of you looking spectacularly clean and sweet-smelling.

Most importantly, thanks to my boys and rockstarz Mike Small, RogerSIMIAN, Cameron Jack, Dave and Craig who made it all happen, and happen good.



DEC 8th: Pretend To Be a Time Traveler Day
Blog on the Theme of my MySpace Status Update. Today on the Staten Island Ferry I sat across from a man sporting loud-print neon MC Hammer pants, Reebok high-tops and a flat-top haircut. What I didn't have room in my status update to add is that he also had a 360 band of pictures and shapes shaved into and around his head, downstairs from the flat-top. He was also wearing a fanny-pack, the material of which was made out of purple old-school bandanna.

(I'm obligated to point out to my British friends that I'm well aware of what "fanny" means over there. That's not what I mean. You know what I mean.)

An observant fellow MySpacer pointed out to me in my comment box that today was Pretend to Be a Time Traveler Day. I thought he was making it up, but he's not, it's today - December 8th. The reason I'm blogging about it isn't because I'm a blogger but because I believe this man came to us from 1988 to celebrate Pretend To Be a Time Traveler Day, except the weird thing is that I don't think he was pretending. It wasn't retro, it wasn't ironic, it wasn't vintage. It was 100% sincere.

How does that happen? And does it only happen on Staten Island?

XO,
KM

No comments: